How to Apply
The six steps to a successful submission
Application to our PhD program is a six-step process, administered through our online application portal as outlined below.
- Check whether you are eligible to apply to our PhD program (more)
- Register at our online application portal between September 01 and November 12 (registration page).
- Login at application portal and name/invite two referees
- Fill out application form
- Upload all required documents (more)
- Submit your application no later than November 15
The six steps to a successful submission, schematic
As soon as your referees submit a letter of recommendation, we will send you a confirmatory email. We will also confirm successful submission of your application through email.
Please keep in mind that we can only accept complete applications submitted through our online application portal. Please do not send applications to the coordination office via postal services or email. We are not able to accept those application and they will not be returned.
Should you run into difficulties when filing your application please send an email to our helpdesk for advice.
Available projects - Who will recruit students in the upcoming round of application?
During the application period we will publish a list with faculty members that plan to recruit a student in the upcoming round of recruitment. In the application form, you will be asked to name up to five faculty members from the list that you find most interesting.
Time line of application/selection process 2020/2021:
- Online application platform will open on September 01, 2020
- Anticipated closing date for application is November 15, 2020 (24:00 Central European Time)
- Anticipated closing date for submission of reference letters is November 18, 2020 (24:00 Central European Time)
- Letters of invitation to online panel interviews and letters of rejection typically will be mailed by mid December, 2020
- All subsequent selection steps will be conducted via online tools due to the ongoing COVID 19 pandemic
- Successfull candidates will be invited Munich to visit their future supervisor (IMPRS-LS will reimburse travel expenses and cover accommodation)
- Accepted candidates should start their thesis research no later than October 01, 2021